Wednesday, May 8, 2013

Wildwood Update #1

My walk with Jesus Christ: In summer of 2010, I met an interpreter named Jenna at Wildwood Summer Project (WWSP) in New Jersey. Two years later, in 2012, when I moved to Honduras, we started dating in April. After dating her long distance (she lives in Tulsa) for about 8 months, I moved back to the states this past December. Three months later, I proposed, and she said yes! We are now excited to work as a team here in Tulsa because we have the same heart for Deaf people to experience an authentic relationship with Jesus. We are still figuring what our goals are so that we can utilize our talents and passions in the Deaf community. Here in Tulsa, God provided a good paying temporary job, a free bedroom, and a set of wheels. I'm so grateful for His provision.
God the Father is my Boss: Jenna and I are trying to build a network with those involved in the Deaf community across the United States in hopes of finding supporters to continue to provide accessible Summer Projects. We first went to California State University, Northridge (CSUN). One of my memorable interactions was with a senior Interpreting major, Diontay (pictured). He was very enthusiastic and inquisitive. As I explained what Men's Time and discilpeship look like on Project, he expressed that growing up without a father, he struggled with the idea of having solid relationships with male peers. I was able to encourage him that he is not alone, as I had a similar experience. It's cool how God used my story to lead him closer to Himself. Jenna and I will go to New Jersey again to continue investing in the lives of young people, and we look forward to what God has for us there. 
 
Holy Spirit is my GPS: This summer I am planning to go back to WWSP to continue investing in the lives of young people. In 2010, I was the first Deaf student provided with an interpreter on the project. Thereafter, I was equipped to lead Deaf Christian Club at Rochester Institute of Technology. After graduation, I moved to my birth country - Honduras - for one year. There, I applied the things I learned from the project to the task of mentoring the Deaf youth. I am forever grateful for the foundation Cru, formerly called Campus Crusade for Christ, helped lay for me to walk with Jesus for a lifetime. Please pray that God will grant me wisdom to lead Deaf students in order to encourage them to reach out to the next generation of the Deaf community. Also, pray that my living expenses in Wildwood, which is $2,000, will be provided. If you are interested in supporting me, you may make an online at give.cru.org/5572350 or mail a check made out to Cru to the address below:

Azael BĂș Perry
c/o Campus Crusade for Christ
121 E. Maple Ave.
Wildwood, NJ 08260

No comments:

Post a Comment